What Information Do We Collect?
BackupSheep’s customers and users voluntarily provide us with data, including data that can be used to identify, either directly or indirectly, an individual (“Personal Data”) when they purchase or use our products and services (together, “Products and Services”) and access our websites or Dashboards (“Websites” or “Dashboards”).
Data Provided by Users and Customers.
- Name, address, email, telephone number, username and password (collectively "Account Information")
- Credit card, debit card, banking or other payment information
- Information submitted as a result of completing forms on our Websites or Dashboards, entering a promotion or survey or subscribing to, commenting on or downloading information from our Websites or Dashboards
- Customer content stored, processed, maintained or transmitted using our Products and Services
- File system information such as stored file folder names, file extensions, file sizes, and the configuration of any account registered for use in connection with the Products and Services.
- Technical information as a result of configuring the Products and Services, including IP addresses, browser-type, device-type, internet service provider, referring or exiting pages, operating system, date and time stamp or click-stream data
- Any other information shared with us directly or indirectly through a customer’s or user’s use of the Products and Services, Websites or Dashboards
To the extent permitted by applicable law, BackupSheep may use, process, transfer and store customer and user data in an anonymous (or pseudonymous) and aggregated manner. We may combine such data with other information collected, including information from third-party sources. By using the Products and Services, our customers and users agree that we are permitted to collect, use, share and store anonymized (or pseudonymized) aggregated data collected through the Products and Services for benchmarking, analytics, metrics, research, reporting, machine learning and other legitimate business purposes.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, BackupSheep may collect data in an automated manner and make and use automated decisions about customers, including using machine learning algorithms, in order to provide or optimize the Products and Services, for security or analytics purposes, to display advertisements and offers based on individual preferences and for any other lawful purpose.
How We Use the Information
BackupSheep processes data, including Personal Data, for a variety of purposes, such as:
- With customer or user consent, e.g., to receive marketing materials
- Where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract, e.g., to facilitate backing-up and restoring data, for archiving purposes, or to provide technical support
- Where necessary to comply with law
- Where the processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, taking into account individual interests. Our legitimate interests include providing the Products and Services, internal record-keeping and administrative purposes and to operate, maintain and improve the Websites or Dashboards
We use certain automatic data collection technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags and other technologies to collect data, including Personal Data, when users or customers visit the Websites or Dashboards, use the Products and Services or interact with us, and may share this data with our third-party marketing vendors (including for example, advertising networks and providers of external services like web traffic analysis services and analytics tools). We explain these technologies below.
Cookies are small text files placed on a computer by a web server when browsing online and are used to store user preference data so that a web server doesn't have to repeatedly request this information. A user may block cookies by activating the settings on the browser that blocks all or some cookies. However, if a user blocks all cookies (including strictly necessary cookies), a user may not be able to access all or parts of our Websites or Dashboards. We use the following cookies:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. These cookies are required for the operation of our Websites and Dashboards. They include, for example, cookies that enable a customer to log-in to secure areas of our Websites and Dashboards and use e-commerce.
- Analytical and Performance Cookies. These cookies allow us to recognize and count the number of users visiting our Websites and Dashboards and see how those users navigate our Websites or Dashboards. This helps us to improve our Websites and Dashboards.
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies recognize a user that returns to our Websites or Dashboards. This enables us to personalize our content, greet the user by name and remember preferences, for example, choice of language or region.
- Targeting Cookies. These cookies record visits to our Websites or Dashboards and the links followed. We use this information to improve our Websites or Dashboards and ensure the advertising displayed is relevant to users.
A web beacon is a small pixel incorporated into a web page or email to keep track of activity on the page or email. A web beacon helps us better manage the content of our Websites by informing us of what content is effective.
We may use third-party cross-device tracking. For example, a user may use multiple browsers on a single device, or use various devices, which can result in the customer having multiple accounts or profiles across various devices. Cross-device tracking may be used to connect these various accounts or profiles and the corresponding data from different devices.
The Websites and Portals may contain links to third-party websites that BackupSheep does not control or maintain. BackupSheep is not responsible for the privacy practices employed by these third-party websites. BackupSheep encourages users to read the privacy statements of such other websites before submitting any Personal Data.
When We Share the Information
BackupSheep does not and will not sell Personal Data to marketers or other vendors.
BackupSheep may share data, including Personal Data, with our contracted third-party service providers in order to provide and improve our Products and Services, Websites or Dashboards or to administer surveys and user analysis to better understand user needs and preferences. These third-parties include affiliates and subsidiaries, business partners, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, credit reference agencies, social media companies, email distributors, marketing automation partners, customer survey companies, data storage and hosting partners, IT specialists and product developers.
BackupSheep may share data, including Personal Data, as necessary to comply with applicable law, court orders, governmental agencies, for the administration of justice, to protect vital interests, to protect the security or integrity of BackupSheep’s databases, Products and Services, Websites or Dashboards, or to take precautions against legal liability.
In the event of a merger, consolidation, or acquisition of all, substantially all or a portion of BackupSheep’s business or assets, BackupSheep may share data, including Personal Data. Customers and users acknowledge and agree that data, including encrypted stored data and Personal Data that BackupSheep has collected, may be securely shared, disclosed and transferred to such successor or assignee.
Subject to applicable data protection laws, customers and users have the following rights with respect to BackupSheep’s handling of Personal Data:
The right to access Personal Data held by BackupSheep.
The right to object to certain processing of Personal Data (unless BackupSheep has overriding compelling grounds to continue processing), including the right to opt-out of receiving direct marketing. We will, however, continue to use Personal Data for the limited purpose of communicating important notices relating to purchases, changes to Products and Services or policies, and other reasons permitted by law.
The right to request correction of Personal Data that is incomplete, incorrect, unnecessary or outdated.
Right to be Forgotten
The right to request erasure of all Personal Data that is incomplete, incorrect, unnecessary or outdated within a reasonable period of time. BackupSheep will do everything possible to erase Personal Data if a user or customer so requests. However, BackupSheep will not be able to erase all Personal Data if it is technically impossible due to limitations of existing technology or for legal reasons, such as BackupSheep is mandated by applicable law to retain Personal Data.
Restriction of Processing
The right to request restriction of processing Personal Data for certain reasons, such as the inaccuracy of Personal Data.
If Personal Data is processed solely based on consent, and not based on any other legal basis, customers can withdraw consent at any time.
Right to Withdraw Consent
If requested, BackupSheep will provide Personal Data in a structured, secure, commonly used and machine-readable format.
Data Protection Contact
The right to contact the relevant data protection regulator regarding BackupSheep’s handling of Personal Data.
To exercise any of the above listed rights, email BackupSheep at email@example.com, contact customer support at +1 (365) 800-0048
BackupSheep AS A DATA CONTROLLER AND PROCESSOR
BackupSheep and its global third-party cloud storage providers have reasonable and appropriate technical and organizational security measures in place to protect against unauthorized processing, loss, misuse and alteration of Personal Data under its control, including: (a) pseudonymization (such as where data is separated from identifiers so that linkage to an identity is not possible without additional information that is stored separately) and encryption, (b) ensuring the ongoing confidentiality, integrity, availability and resilience of systems and services used to process Personal Data, and (c) ensuring a process for regularly testing, assessing and evaluating the effectiveness of technical and organizational security measures. Please be advised that we cannot, and we do not believe that anyone can, genuinely guarantee or warrant absolute security of Personal Data disclosed or transmitted via the Internet to us or a third-party. As a result, absent BackupSheep’s gross negligence, customers and users agree to not hold BackupSheep responsible for the theft, destruction, loss, damage or inadvertent disclosure of Personal Data or other data provided to BackupSheep.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Notification of Privacy Statement Changes
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the email address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
If you have questions, concerns or if you would like more detailed information, please contact us here:
1300 Cornwall Road, Suite 201
L6J 7W5, Canada
+1 (306) 802-4820 (phone)